Thursday, January 15, 2015

8K and 2015 in 2015 Challenge

Happy Tuesday, (well it's Thursday when I'm finally writing this, but it's all about Tuesday :) )

I was going into work late this as I have a meeting that won't end until around 7pm.  By the time I get home it will be 830 or later depending on when the meeting actually ends and traffic.  I had 8 kilometers on the training plan for today and I was a little concerned on Monday night about doing 8K and then going to work.  With the exception of races which occur in the mornings, I tend to run in the late afternoon / early evening.  My runs usually make me tired so I wasn't sure about doing the full 8K in the morning.  I thought perhaps I would break it up into a pre-work run of 5K and a 3K run when I got home. 

I hit the gym at 7am and tried to program the machine for 90 minutes as my 8K time is usually around that length of time.  However, the gym I go to has a session limit of 60 minutes programmed into the machines.  I was a little annoyed but thought all right, maybe I will just do the 5K as that will take me about 50 minutes. (Remember, I'm the turtle!)  I got going doing 3:1's as that's my comfortable running intervals at this point.  I want to get to 10:1's before the half marathon so that I can try to use one of the pace groups to get through :) 

The machines at the gym are US machines so they are calibrated in miles not kilometers so I had looked up what my distance needed to be for an 8K which equals 4.9 miles  I was feeling pretty good when I saw that I was at 2.5 miles so I stopped the machine to reset it for the next 2.4 miles.  It was only 7:45am and I still had a full two hours before I had to head into work.  I wasn't tired so I decided to just get the full 8K done in one shot.
First 2.5 Miles


Last 2.4 miles to make 8km


I was so proud of myself when I was finished. I was hot, sweaty and a little tired but I was good to go. 

I am also joining my friends Jill and Kristine in the 2015 in 2015 challenge.  It's an online challenge where you can go solo or join a team to run/walk 2015 miles in 2015.  I had seen the challenge making the rounds on facebook, and I was interested in joining it but knew there was no way I could do that much mileage on my own.  When I saw Jill post about it in facebook, I sent her a text asking if I could join her team and she said yes.  YEAH!!!  I am so excited and this challenge is going to keep me motivated for the year, because I am sure as heck not going to let my team down!  If you're interested in learning more about the challenge go to http://www.runtheedge.com/2014/12/run-2015-in-2015-challenge/  There is a cost to join, but to me it was worth the $25.  A small price to pay to get a lot of support if I need it and the accountability along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment