Sunday, June 2, 2013

Rough Day

Saturday was a rough day, all around a rough day!  I woke up with a pounding headache at 4am and that was the precursor to how my day went.  At 7am, I got dressed and was ready to go for a long walk.  Angus and I headed out but....well....he wasn't having a good day either, 15 minutes later we were home.  I was frustrated and upset and trying to figure out where the beginnings of a bad mood was coming from.

My husband and I dropped my car of to get looked at, a couple of items have popped up this week that we needed to have taken care of so we dropped the car off, only to be told that they can't fix everything as they don't have the electronic tech in on the weekends.  Ugh!  Bad mood...frustration kicked in big time.

We did our regular running around, Bank, Dry Cleaners,  Costco, grocery store, market and home again.  I cut up the watermelon and put it into the single serving size containers, put the rest of the groceries away and then I brooded, I didn't know why, but I did.

Around 1pm it hit me.  I had a gain this week, and that's what my problem was.  I was expecting the gain, I knew it was coming, it was only a small gain, but in my head I had it as a huge gain.  How huge was it.  My eating almost went out the window.  I nibbled on Pop chips, I ate 2 bags within  a half hour and was reaching for the third when I stopped myself.  I was not going to let this headache and foul mood trigger a binge.  NO MATTER WHAT!

Around 2pm the car was ready, so my husband took me up to get it, the gym is right across the street and I knew that I had to do something to get myself out of the funk I had fallen into.  So, over to the gym I went.  I bypassed the Elliptical and headed right for the treadmill, it wasn't busy and I wanted to try to do my intervals as runs with walking rest periods.  I walked for 5 minutes to warm up and then hit the interval button on my Garmin.  I alternated the speeds as 3mph for walking and 4.3mph for my runs.  I finished up with a 10 minute walking cool down.  I think I did fairly well, my heart rate got up which is good, my average heart rate was 140bpm, and maxed it out at 160bpm.  I wasn't ready to go home yet so I hopped onto the stairclimber next.  I did 20 minutes on it with an average heart rate of 136, maxing out at 141.

It's amazing how a good sweaty workout will improve your mood!  It didn't help the headache but I was much happier when I got home from the gym :)

No comments:

Post a Comment