Friday, February 7, 2014

Run Clinic Started today!

I did it! Today was the first day of my learning to run clinic! My awesome hubby gave me a certificate for our local running store to join a learn to run clinic in order to get me ready for the BMO 8K in May that I signed up for. I was excited about the clinic last night when I get my bag all packed and ready to go. I was so excited that I had a hard time falling asleep.

The last time I remember looking at the clock it was almost 1am and I kept thinking, you need to get to sleep, you need to get to sleep. Needless to say, when the alarm went off at 445am, I wasn't really all that excited to be getting up at that ungodly hour of the morning! But up I got, dressed and on the train an hour earlier than normal, so that I could be at work an hour earlier, so I could leave work an hour earlier, so I could make it to run clinic on time.

 As my day went on, I started to get that nervous little knot in my stomach, you know, the one you used to get before the first day of school. I don't know anyone in the run clinic. I have no point of reference for the clinic. I was a little scared as the time to leave work got closer and closer. I was a bundle of nerves while I was sitting on the train headed back home. I was so nervous, and I don't really know why. Was it because I was going outside of my comfort zone? Perhaps, it was because I'm generally a shy person. (stop laughing, I truly am!) Perhaps it's because of my own expectations. My own pre-conceived ideas.

 When I arrived at the running store I was still really nervous. There is about 14 of us all together, and most of them know each other. They are a group of friends supporting one another as they learn to run. The age range is quite wide. I'm by far the heaviest in the group, but I'm not going to let that distract me. When we were accounted for and ready to go, off we went, we had a warm up walk and then did interval walking, 1 minute of normal walk, 1 minute of brisk walk and then back to 1 minute of normal. We went around the area twice, which was good. I did bring up the rear, you know me, I'm as slow as a herd of turtles but I did it. I enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment