Monday, March 4, 2013

Overcoming mean spirited people

Friday had a couple of bumpy parts of the day for me but I came out on top and that's what counts right!  I had to drive in to work as I had an event I was volunteering for and the train simply wouldn't get me home in time for my volunteer shift.  The drive in was horrendous as the "Pineapple Express" came ashore full force, I could barely see 20 feet in front of me between the rain and all the spray.  I made it to work with plenty of time to spare before my 830am meeting. 

I had meetings all morning and quickly bundled up and headed out to my Weight Watchers meeting at noon.  The rain was still coming down sideways and as I had a 1pm meeting I wasn't going to be able to stay for the meeting, nor get my whole lunch time walk in.  WW was busy as always, there are about 100 people who attend the meeting and after working my way through the line up I was really disappointed to find I had only lost 2oz.  2oz!!! Are you frigging kidding me, that's a drink of water!  I was so upset when I left the meeting, although my leader tried to put a positive spin on it for me.  I've lost 27 pounds in 7 weeks, my body needs my weight loss to slow down so it can catch up  But still!  2oz! 

I bundled back up and headed back out into the torrential down pour, beating myself up for such a low loss and was halfway back to work when a man walking towards me walked right into me! Not a gently bump but a WHAM right into me.   Not a polite oops, sorry let me help you get your umbrella back.    Instead he screams at me "I blame you for this!  If you weren't so f***ing fat this wouldn't have happened".  I was stunned!  I was speechless, I heard several people gasp as he's screaming at the top of his lungs at me and I didn't know what to do.  I  was mortified as tears started streaming down my face (yes as my husband will attest, it doesn't take much to make me cry).  By the time I got back to my office I had calmed down but I was still feeling really horrible about the whole incident.  I quickly wolfed down my lunch and hurried to my next meeting, hoping beyond hope that my nose was no longer red and my eyes weren't still watery. 

I was proud of how I handled it.  In the past that sort of comment would have thrown me for a loop, I would have started eating anything and everything I could get my hands on.  Instead, I ate my lunch, went to my meeting and then headed home to do my volunteer shift. 

I parked my car a couple blocks away from the event so I could get my steps in (steps I was short on because 1. I drove to work instead of training it which means I was missing 4500 steps right out the door) 2. I didn't get my lunch time walk in, another 4500-5500 step loss.)  I was really happy though as I walked and walked and walked doing my volunteer shift.  When I arrived I only had 3600 steps on my pedometer.  When I got home I had19,026!  I blew my 12,000 step per day goal right out of the water!  That's one way to overcome the mean spirited people we literally run into every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment