Saturday, May 25, 2013

Elliptical Intervals

Thursday was my regular gym night.  I head to the gym after I get off the train, to get in what my husband likes to call, my last chance workout.  It's my last kick at the activity can before my Friday weigh in. 

I decided to do something a little different this week other than the usual Elliptical/Stairclimber routine.  The Garmin my husband gave me has a setting for intervals.  I figured why not try it.  I'm in a controlled environment, if I go full out and fall off the machine, at least people will be around to help pick me up off the floor. (This is a consideration, I have been known to fall off Stairclimbers and Ellipticals in the past!  Stop laughing!  It's not funny, it hurts!)

My original thought was to actually do the 30 second bursts of energy on the treadmill, but there were just too many people around and I'm still very conscious of how my body may flop around as I try to job/run.

I hoped onto the elliptical and hit the button on my watch for intervals, warmed up for 10 minutes and then had at her.  When I was warming up, my average pace was 88strides per minutes, when I kicked it up for the intervals, I hit over 200 strides per minutes.  I was killing it!   I was feeling the burn in my legs when I was done the 3o second interval and then was just feeling better when the reset period ended.  When I was done my workout and it was time to get off the Elliptical, I can honestly say I was worried about falling off.  My legs felt like they were made of rubber! 

I think I did a great job for my first time doing intervals.  It made the 40 minutes go much quicker, and I really felt like I got something out of my workout.  I was feeling quite proud of myself as I was wiping down the machine when I was done and as I stopped to grab my bag, one of the muscle guys on the machine beside me nodded at me and said "good job on the intervals...keep it up."    I said thanks and headed up the stairs to leave and I have to say, that one line, from that man really made my evening!

Split
Time
Distance
Avg Speed
Summary   40:00.    03.605.4



No comments:

Post a Comment