Saturday, May 2, 2015

Rough week.

It's been a rough couple of weeks for me and my running. I've been dealing with a nagging ankle for the past couple of weeks. I was looking forward to the BMO 8K this weekend. 

It is not meant to be. I've had to drop out of the race al together. My ankle has been getting worse. For the first time ever, this week my Sports Dr. Wrapped my ankle on Tuesday. She was concerned with the swelling and the shooting pain that I've been getting through it.  

I went back on Thursday and as she was treating me she began asking questions that I knew  weren't ones I wanted to hear.   Even harder to hear as she began to tape my ankle were my options. 

She would come to my hotel in Vancouver as she was going to be there anyway and wrap the crap out of my ankle so I could WALK the 8k race.  It  
could mean risking further injury and setting me back potentially for months.  Option two was to not do the race. Not do any excessive walking or running for three to four weeks and slowly build my way back to running.  

I have to admit. Laying there on her table I started to cry. This was my race. This was the "Race" I worked so had for and I couldn't do any of it. 

I was so disappointed and frustrated. So many thoughts were running through my mind and I couldn't make a decision. My knee jerk answer was yes come to the hotel. What time?  What do I need to have for you?    

I guess she could sense the internal battle going in in my head as she wrapped my ankle when she told me to think about it. Talk to my husband and text her by the end of the night. 

When I got out to my car. I cried some more, yelled a little, I may have even taken my frustration out on the poor steering wheel. 

When I got home I took a picture of my wrapped ankle and texted it to my husband. He called me as soon as he got it to ask if I was alright. I started to give him what my options were and as I was taking to him I knew what I had to do. 

I texted the Dr.  And told her that common sense and my husband had prevailed.  We were still going to go to the race.  However,  I'm going to be the best darned spectator I can be. 

So if you're running in the Vancouver BMO Marathon, half Marathon or 8K. Look for the lady wearing red around Pender and Jervis. That will be me cheering, clapping and holding my signs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment