Monday, October 13, 2014

Confession Time

It's confession time.  I've been silent for quite a while and it's not because I've fallen off of the healthiness, fitness wagon.  Well not entirely but there has been a lot going on in the past four months that didn't give me the chance to keep up to pace.  I'm not making excuses.  I'm just being realistic. 

This is who I am, take me or leave me :)

It all started on June 25th when after a year of planning, and interviewing contractors and going to home shows that we started our renovations on our house.  We have done a total renovation on the main floor, that at the time we started this process we were told would be 6-8 weeks.  Well, 4 months later with a few odds and ends left, we're now done.

When you're renovating your kitchen, taking down walls, moving plumbing and electrical, it limits you to what you can do.  My original plan of cooking plenty of meals to easily warm in the microwave hit a major snag a week before the reno when our deep freezer died.  I mean died, dead on arrival, the repairman couldn't fix it!  We had to purchase a new one and it took two weeks for delivery.

There went plan A, we still had plan b, and even moved to a plan c, but regardless, in the four months of renovations, using the bbq and rice maker to cook, we eventually ended up eating out a lot, or getting take out.  All in all it equaled the same thing.  Weight gain. 

I'm here to say that honestly I gained almost 20 pounds in the four months.  Not good!  Not good at all, but I'm dealing with it.  I'm not beating myself up over it. I didn't stop going to weight watchers. I went every week and slowly watched as I gained a pound or two here, lost one there, gained another two, and there we have it.  I'm back to being focused, tracking everything, weighing and measuring everything.

I also haven't been running for the past 5 weeks or so.  My husband and I went on holidays and while away I injured my knee.  My doctor prescribed rest and I've been taking it easy, however I have a 10K run on October 26th and I'm worried that I won't be able to run it.  I went for a run on Saturday, hoping to run 5K and build myself up to doing the 10K at the end of the month.  I was only 1K in when I felt the little twinge in my knee, I should have stopped but told myself to just keep going.  I did keep going until the twinge became an ache.  That's when I stopped running, started walking and called my wonderful husband for a pick up.  I know there isn't any point in pushing it, as I'll just end up making it worse but at the same time I'm disappointed.

I have to keep in mind the bigger goal though and that is the half marathon I am signed up for on May 3rd, the Vancouver BMO Half Marathon.   That is the goal race, so if I have to by pass a 10K race to get myself to the half, that's what I'll do.

I also haven't been to run clinic.  For the most part because of my knee, but twice because of work engagements.  I hope that my knee will let me get back into run clinic in the coming week, if not, I'm afraid this one will be a wash but I'll be signing up for the half marathon clinic that will start in January.

So there you have it.  My confession...I'm human and although disappointed, I'm ok with that.

In the next few days I'll get a few blog posts up, a couple about the renovations, and a couple about our holiday in August where I got to meet someone who truly inspires me.

1 comment:

  1. I am deeply inspired by your drive to overcome life's struggles. You shouldn't be too hard on your knees though. If it is possible to pace your activities in ways that don't put much strain or pressure on the knee, then that is better. It should work out better for you in the long run.

    Agnes Lawson @ MedWell Spine, OsteoArthritis & Neuropathy Center

    ReplyDelete