Sunday, December 8, 2013

Santa Shuffle recap.

It was my birthday this weekend and when my husband asked me if I would like to have a party I told him no.  I would rather have him and as many friends as possible join me for the Santa Shuffle 5K and then meet up for brunch afterwards.  I sent out a facebook message to all of my friends in the area and started an event page.  There were a few people who did sign up for the Santa Shuffle, but in different cities.  It turned out to be just me and my hubby for the race although there were 10 of us for brunch.

We had a cold front move down into the Lower Mainland/Fraser Valley area during the week and when we got up on Saturday morning it was -9 before the windchill.  Considering we had winds of about 20kph I'm sure the wind chill was significant.  We did talk about perhaps not doing it, but this would be the first race that I've signed up for that I didn't complete, and I just didn't want that.  I bundled up as best as I could, leggings under the pants, long sleeve shirt under a short sleeve shirt with the warmest jacket I own, a toque and mittens and we were off.

I knew as soon as we got out of the car that I was under dressed.  I should have brought a scarf as well and maybe worn another pair of pants!  It was so cold that by the time we walked across the parking lot to the race start line, my toes were numb and my legs were stinging from the cold.  We did a lot of bouncing up and down in an attempt to keep warm, the speeches at the beginning were kept as short as possible and it was time to start the 5K Santa Shuffle and the 1K Elf Walk.    I knew while doing the warm up, there was no way that I would be running this event.  It was going to be walking only.  I was already so cold it wasn't funny and by the time we were ready to start my feet and legs up to my knees were completely numb and stinging from the cold. (I guess that's what happens when you wear summer weight pants as that's all that you have)

I guided my husband towards the back of the pack as I didn't want to be responsible for slowing down any of the runners and we started off.  As we were walking we were talking about getting to the restaurant to get a table for our group as the restaurant doesn't take reservations.  Although the race was scheduled to start at 10am, it was 1020 by the time we started.  It normally takes me an hour to walk 5k, add in how cold we were and we knew that there was no way we would be able to walk the whole 5K, and be across town to meet up with everyone by 1130.

When we came to the split for the 1K to head to the finish line and the 5K to head to the road, we agreed that we would just do the 1K this year for times sake.  I was delighted to find out that even though we did the 1K we still got a medal!
I was so cold, this was the biggest smile I could manage.

 Although I was disappointed to not do the actual 5K distance, it just wasn't feasible, and we know for next year we will make it a 1230 lunch instead of an 1130 brunch.  That way we can do the 5K, without being worried about the time.  I will also be investing in some cold weather gear for next year so I don't freeze my butt off again!

2 comments:

  1. What a great way to spend for your Birthday!! 5K or 1K you [both] were still out there doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you had a good birthday. I'm glad you got in some activity, that is always a plus!

    ReplyDelete